Over the last few weeks we have been learning about Lapland in Geography. One of the things we enjoyed the most was learning about the Northern Lights. We watched videos, looked at pictures and learned a few facts. Here are some of the things we learned:
- They are also called “Aurora Borealis”
- They are bright, dancing streams of purple, green, red & yellow in the night sky!
- It must be dark and clear to see them.
- Places like Canada & the Arctic Circle are some of the best places to view them (but they can also be seen in Donegal!)
- They are caused by “Solar flares” (charged particles) which react with the earth’s atmosphere.
We really enjoyed learning about Lapland, especially the Northern Lights. We even did our own pictures, here are some photos for you to enjoy. We hope you like them.